Friday, April 1, 2011

Racial injustice awareness

Count the statements that are accurate to your life.

1. I can, if I wish, arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.
2. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured store personnel will not follow me.
3. I can turn on the TV or open the front page of the newspaper and see people of my race widely represented.
4. When I am told about our national heritage and about "civilization," I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.
5. I can be sure that I will be given materials in school that represent my race.
6. I can go into a supermarket and find staple foods that fit with my cultural tradition, or into a hairdresser's shop and find someone who can cut my hair.
7. I can do well in a challenging situation without being told that I am a credit to my race.
8. I can remain ignorant of the language and customs of persons of color who are the world's majority without feeling in my culture any penalty for such ignorance.
9. If a traffic cop pulls me over, I can be sure it is not because of my race.
10. I can go home from most meetings of organizations I belong to feeling something in common with others, rather than feeling isolated, out of place, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance, or feared.
11. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having my co-workers on the job suspect that I got it because of my race.
12. If I move, I can be pretty sure that my neighbors will be neutral or pleasant to me.
13. I can swear, or dress in second-hand clothes without having people attribute those choices to bad morals, the poverty, or the illiteracy of my race.
14. I can be pretty sure if I ask to talk to the "person in charge" I will be facing a person of my race.
15. I can easily buy posters, post-cards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys and children magazines featuring people of my race.
16. I can choose blemish cover or band-aids in "flesh" color and have them more or less match my skin.

1 comment:

  1. I failed this awareness test, I guess, but if you were to substitute race with gender, I think I could relate more.

    ReplyDelete