Monday, February 21, 2011

Today is the day

Well hello. If you knew me, which you might not, you could possibly but not necessarily know that I am in a class that regularly discusses instances of race, class and gender in the media. Probably because it is called, "Comms 481: Race, Class and Gender in the Media." Oh what a joy this class is, though some might scoff that it is full of BYU students, "No opinions they have," you might say. Or "They live in a bubble" -- which is a favorite of many. But, let me tell you. This class is where the beetles come out of the woodwork. You know? It is full of many differing - including some fairly obnoxious - opinions.
But, due to this class, I've been exposed even more to the perspectives of others, as well as seeing how the media effects them and me. Not sure what I'm talking about? Little example, we discuss why the Superbowl Pepsi advertisement featured a black woman throwing a can at her black husband for checking out a white chick, and if the commercial would've been perceived differently (not so funny? or racist?) if it was a white couple and a black woman. I know, kind of a stretch, but it can be fun to analyze.
So for now, this blog will be used as a place to discuss further those discussions, and even bring up others from what I've noticed in the media or how its effected me on any given day.You know you want to, so feel free to join in.

No comments:

Post a Comment