Friday, March 25, 2011

Defending the faith online

(Lance posted this on our personal blog, and by personal I mean the blog I update that has mine and Lance's name on it. I thought it applied beautifully to the concept of this media analyzing blog, so I've re-posted it for your reading pleasure)

This is Lance...

I know I haven't made any posts, well ever, but better late than never. One disclaimer before I launch into my two cents: My thoughts will not match the "cute" decor of this blog.

Yesterday in class a discussion was started about defending the Church online in forums or comment sections of news articles. I was surprised to hear from many well educated university students that they were hesitant to respond to ignorant or slanderous comments. Either because they didn't know what to say or were afraid it wouldn't do any good. I have been thinking about this for ever since the class and this is my delayed response:

Our response to such negative comments is essential. It may seem that our comments don't do any good, but they do. I learned something in my marketing class which I think can apply. When it comes to marketing products there is a love group, a hate group and a swing group on which we can focus. In regards the the Church, the love group consists of members and those who know the Church well. The hate group consists mostly of bitter ex-communicated members and anti-Mormons. But the majority of people fall into the swing category- these people know little to nothing about the Church and have neutral feelings about who we are. Marketing strategy suggests ignoring the hate group because focusing on these people will produce minimal results and ultimately end as a waste of energy. Ideally what a marketer does is sell to the swing group through the eyes of the love group.

So how does this apply to online forums and comment sections?

Responding to the hate group is crucial because the swing group reads the conversation. When a rude, slanderous or inaccurate comment is made about the Church online we need to respond, not to slam the original comment, but to present the truth for others who will read the thread. If we don't respond those in the swing group we will be left with nothing but venomous misinformation. Many will mistake this as truth.

I work with Mormon.org chat so I've come across many who seek to slam the Church. Here are a few suggestions on how to respond:

1- Never get sucked into an emotional debate - if you lose your cool you will start to fight the hater and this never really represents the Church well

2- Take time to ponder your response - Back up what you say with logic, history, or scripture in a calm, factual, clear way. This may not work for the person you are responding to but you're not trying to convince that person anyway.

3 - Always be nice no matter how rude the opposition is - this is hard but so effective. When we are constantly nice to those who demonize us those watching the debate are touched by our love.

Well that's about all I got. Next time you see something online don't be afraid to stick up for the Church. Hopefully my thoughts are helpful.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment