Tuesday, March 15, 2011

pink is for girls... right?

Let's take a short quiz slash perform a teensy experiment. Look at the following pics.





Did you think the first one was a girls room? The second a boys? The third, who knows? Why?

Who teaches us blue is for boys and pink is for girls? (and yellow is for neutral babies) Does it make a man less manly to wear pink? I'd say it does more so (to some people) than it does for a girl to wear blue. But still, who decided that?

Please imagine there is a short clip pasted here from "The Office" season 3. The one where the new girl from Stanford brings in her baby and Pam says "she is so cute." And then the chick is offended because the baby wrapped in pink is actually a little boy who's favorite color happens to be pink. But screw hulu for not letting me post, so just imagine it k.

Continuing on, man in pink.


Does it weird you out when a guy wears pink? You might say no. But even if it doesn't bother you, do you do register at all 1) Hey that guy is wearing pink 2) That's a little weird, but whatever 3) Omg he is so confident and self assured to be wearing that omg so sexy 4) FAG. Yeah, you probably do. But I bet that doesn't happen when he wears green, blue or black. Growing up we're taught from before we are even born what our gender roles in. Just look at baby clothes, accessories, toys and decorations. Babies are even color coded on their way home from the hospital in little blue or pink beanies.



I'm fine with that. I'm fine with mom's buying pink blankets and binkies and dolls for their girls, and blue pajamas and trucks and balls for boys. But it does bother me when, see above BYU shirt photo, it gets out of control. Really? Why does BYU Bookstore make/provide pink BYU shirts? BYU's colors are blue and white. Not pink. I don't see any pink shirts in the boys sections. Call me weird, but I think this is a little gender stereotypical. I don't care if some girls like pink better or if pink is for girls and blue is for boys, BYU's colors are not pink. So please don't make this ugly shirt anymore. Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. yes, BYU does make pink shirts for girls, but they also make every other colored shirts. :) my mom was super excited when my little brother gave her a BYU sweatshirt in my high school colors, black and gold. :) Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to dress my baby girl in purple because 1: it's my favorite color and 2: pink is "what baby girls wear" and yes I like my kids to be a little unique. But then purple is also a "girl" color so I guess I do fall into the sterotypical thought process of ruffles and lace for girls, trucks and motorcycles for boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirsten-- I agree, and I know they make it in several colors and obviously people keep buying! It's just weird to me, cuz I'll always associate blue with BYU and red with the Duncan Wildkats (where I went to hs) and I'd never mix the two.
    Martha-- I'm loving the purple choice! I agree, though, I am ruffles and lace for girls, trucks for boys etc and I don't think that's bad. Just wondering how it all got started, and now how far the stereotypes can go!

    ReplyDelete