Tuesday, March 29, 2011

disabilities in the media

How often do you see people with disabilities in the media? Whether it be Down syndrome, someone in a wheelchair, blind or deafness, or ... dyslexia?



In a group discussion the other day, many people expressed why they don't think disability is shown as much in the media. 1) because it seems unnatural or like the media are exploiting them 2) the media just doesn't know how to get it right so they avoid the topic.

But what about in your personal experiences? What do you think? It's kind of a sensitive topic, yah? Do you find yourself avoiding those with disabilities? Walking on the other side of the aisle in a store so you don't have to make eye contact? Have you ever not known what to say, so you just don't say anything at all?

I have to say I used to be like that. But I'm getting better. A little boy who is two years old, three in October, changed that in me. And I am incredibly grateful to him and his family. Now when I see someone who is different from me I immediately think of all the people who love them, because I am someone who loves someone just like them. I can relive and transfer all of those feelings pretty easily. I think of all the amazing things that that person has done. And really, I think how amazing they are and blessed I am to meet them.

I want to see more videos in the media like this:



Please, take a second and share. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment