Thursday, March 17, 2011

Expectations

To my girls, do you have to travel around the world to find yourself?



Or make every mistake to have life experiences?

Because of a good friend's suggestion, I'm reading "Eat, Pray, Love." To be honest, I was pretty uninterested in the beginning because the chick in the book is like: "I need to discover myself, so I am going to divorce my husband because having a family is too traditional and something that is traditional can't be right because it's not exciting enough, and I should travel the world to find what life is about and probably worship yoga and other oddities because that makes me unique. Oh and have an affair and be emotionally unstable because it proves I'm passionate."

Who taught this girl these things? Does the media teach us to have unrealistic expectations? After watching a movie, do you feel better or worse about yourself? What about after flipping through a fashion magazine? Do you feel like if you aren't Photoshop beautiful, in love with someone who brings you flowers everyday and keeps a journal of the witty things you say but isn't clingy and loves your mom and rainbows and babies, than you are failing in life?

I just finished the book today, and have my own opinions on the book now, but want some reader (or movie watcher) feedback. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. This movie, just like every other love movie or reality show, depicts an extremely distorted idea of what love is and should be like. Being as this is a book written "as a true story", I kinda feel sorry for the woman who obviously doesn't understand about life or true love. It's apparent that she was much more focused on herself than her marriage and that is precisly a reason why it would fail. There's a reason the Lord has warned us "He who loses himself, shall find himself." When we continue to seek ways to feel self-fulfillment, we will continue to dive deeper and deeper into the shallow waters of pride that cannot quench our thirst. It's unfortunate that because of movies and stories such as these, other people are being infected by the idea that if you run out on your "boring husband" to foreign cultures and men with accents, that your life will suddenly have meaning.

    ReplyDelete