Wednesday, March 23, 2011

generic language

Are you offended by "male generic language?"

Like spokesman, policeman, fireman, mankind, etc

Personally, I think when you remember (which should be always but I'm forgiving) it should be spokesperson. Or police officer. Or fire fighter. But I'm not necessarily going to lecture someone for offending me and all women if they accidentally scream, "hey, would you please help me, I would like to be in contact with a fireman because my house happens to be on fire." Those screamers they just can't help it.

I recently read about a woman who took her husband's last name and added it to hers, and he did the same.

For example, if I were to use my maiden name and married last name (which I do)
Keri Lunt-Stevens

and if Lance were to do the same
Lance Stevens-Lunt

Is it just me or is that little weird? Do you think its sexist that the woman takes the man's last name? Or is sometimes referred to as MRS. Lance Stevens?

I guess I'm just "old fashioned." You?

4 comments:

  1. I do agree, i think that maybe im old fashioned as well. But i think that it is weird for guys to take on the girls last name, i do think its ok if the girl would like to keep her maiden name as part of her name though. I dont think its sexiest if the guy chooses to not take on the girls name but the girl takes on his. That is just the way it has always been, call it tradition but not sexiest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old fashioned all the way! I cant wait to get rid of my last name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am grievously offended that you took my last name. That's very sexist of you. But seriously I don't think it is offensive at all. It is a cultural aspect of our society. Some societies are matriarchal some patriarchal. I find it a bit ridiculous when people get upset about this type of thing. It's like people getting offended that certain words are feminine or masculine in Spanish. A bit silly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danielle I love you! haha can't wait to get rid of your last name.. bahah.

    ReplyDelete